Company History

Coyne & Delany Company was founded in 1879 by John J. Delany and Thomas Coyne. They were part of that first generation of lrish that arrived in America looking to escape the Potato Famine of Ireland and find a new life and opportunity in the new world. In those days, the family business was centered on the production of copper-lined wooden tubes and wooden overhead tanks for water closets. By the turn of the century, the product line had expanded to include cast iron tubs, brass plumbers trim,wooden flush tanks and fittings and ballcocks. Then in 1910 Tom Coyne suddenly died. Leaving no male heirs to assume his stock or role in the company, his wife chose to sell his shares to John Delany. Over a 130years later and now into its fourth generation, the company is still 100% family owned. The Company has seen many changes along the way starting with the introduction of its first flush valve, the Flushboy, in 1927, which changed the product line forever. Having survived the Great Depression, World War II took the Company from being a regional power in the Northeast to being a national company by selling to military bases throughout the U.S. During the late 40s, 50s, and into the 60s, John J "Doc" Delany pioneer numerous patented products. In 1943, he patented and introduced the first ever rubber sleeve Vacuum Breaker to the market. Then in 1948, Doc invented and patented the hallmark feature of all Delany flush valves, the Regulating Screw, allowing a valve to be externally adjusted in the field. In 1956, Doc patented another trademark feature of the Delany valves, the Rubberflex handle. This is still the only non-spring loaded handle on the market today. As we entered the decade of the 60s , the Company pushed sales outside of the US for the first time, establishing a relationship with Crane Canada, a division of Crane Valve. As the decade drew to a close, Graham Delany and his cousin Jack, now co-running the Company, boldly moved the Company to Charlottesville, VA in 1969. There they built a then state-of-the-art plant with afoundry and a plating department. The 70s saw growth continue throughout the Southeast and the rest of the country, and as it drew to a close, the Company hit a milestone that few companies ever achieve, its 100th Birthday. Entering the 80s, the Company came out with a hydraulic activated valve, called the Hydro-Flush.But it was the dawn of the electronic age of flushometers that set this decade apart for the industry. Delany was there with its Sensor-Flush and the first ever sensor-operating battery






powered flush valve. In 1988, the Company patented the Impulse.The theme of the 90s was globalization, as companies pushed overseas for inexpensive labor. This became a severe challenge for the Company as the 4th generation was transitioning into control. In 2009, the Company restructured by changing its name to Delany Products; its business model to outsourcing, and bring in a new accounting system and its first ever CFO. In 2012, the new Delany Products launched the first new valve in over 20 years. This was a high end manual valve called the Saber. As the recovery continues, the Company still remains true to is core of simplicity of design, 100% hand assembly, and the water testing of each and every valve before it leaves the building.